Skip to main content

ALICE Report

United Way ALICE Project 

ALICE stands for Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed. The United Way term represents the growing number of hardworking individuals and families across Idaho, the Pacific Northwest and the nation who are working but unable to afford the basic household necessities, including housing, child care, health care, food and transportation. Released in January 2016, the United Way ALICE Report – Pacific Northwest, 2016 presents publicly available data in a comprehensive way to illustrate the true scope of financial need in our communities. All seven United Ways in Idaho, as well as United Ways across Oregon and Washington, took part in the ALICE Report. Access the ALICE Report.

Download the United Way ALICE Report
What can we learn from the ALICE Report? 

Nearly 4 in 10 Idaho households struggle to afford the basics of a household budget. The ALICE population in Idaho is 22 percent. Combined with poverty (15 percent), approximately 37 percent of households in Idaho struggle to make ends meet financially. United Way believes in a research-based model in order to fully understand and best respond to the needs of our communities. We wanted to understand the causes of the problems, not just the end results. 

ALICE Lead Research and National Director 

Stephanie Hoopes, Ph.D., is the lead researcher and national director of the United Way ALICE Project. Dr. Hoopes’ work focuses on the political economy of the United States and specifically on the circumstances of low-income households. Her research has garnered both state and national media attention. She began the United Way ALICE Project as a pilot study of the low-income community in affluent Morris County, New Jersey in 2009, and has overseen its expansion into a national initiative to more accurately measure financial hardship in states across the country. In 2015, Dr. Hoopes joined the staff at United Way of Northern New Jersey in order to grow this work in new and innovative ways as more and more states become involved.

ALICE Research Advisory Committee for the Pacific Northwest
  • Fred Abousleman, MPA Oregon Cascades West Council of Governments
  • Joe Avalos, M.A., Thurston County Public Health and Social Services
  • Mark Edwards, Ph.D. Oregon State University, School of Public Policy
  • Katie Fitzpatrick, Ph.D. Seattle University – Economics Professor
  • Elena Fracchia, MPA United Way of Lane County (Eugene/ Springfield, OR)
  • Larry Geri, MPA The Evergreen State CollegeAli Modarres, Ph.D. University of Washington, Tacoma
  • David Hartman, M.A. The Prosperity Agenda
  • Patrick Jones, Ph.D. Institute for Public Policy & Economic Analysis, Eastern Washington University
  • Nicola Marsden-Haug Kitsap County Public Health
  • Kim Matson Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
  • Jennifer McKinney, Ph.D. Sociology Dept., Seattle Pacific University
  • Alivia Metts, B.S. Economist/ Consultant
  • Jennie Romich, Ph.D. West Coast Poverty Center, University of Washington
  • Will Summers, B.S. Oregon Employment Department
  • Kathryn Tacke, M.A. Idaho Department of Labor
  • Aimee White, Ph.D. Evaluator/ Consultant