ACT NOW – Advocate for Expansion of Community Schools
Join us this week as we advocate for the expansion of Community Schools and encourage our federal representatives to support the Full Service Community Schools Act!
As students are returning to school in person, it is becoming clear that pandemic-related interruptions to schooling have caused significant learning loss. Yet we have an opportunity in this moment to rethink the way we do education in Idaho. Let’s ensure every student has access to the opportunities they need to succeed. Let’s not return to the way we’ve always done things, but rather reimagine what Idaho schools could be. Let’s imagine a future where every school is a Community School.
The Community School Strategy coordinates resources and relationships through a local school to accelerate outcomes in education, health, employment, and family stability. Locally led, the Community School Strategy allows each community to respond in unique and innovative ways to the needs of students and families. Around 30 schools in Idaho and tens of thousands nationwide are using the Community School Strategy.
The national virtual hill day for Community Schools is on March 25th. Community School supporters all across the nation will be contacting their federal representatives to advocate for the support of Community Schools and expansion of the Full Service Community Schools Act. The Full Service Community Schools Expansion Act of 2021 would invest $3.6 billion over the next five years to plan, implement, and support full service community schools all over the nation at schools serving low-income students.
How can I help?
· Email/call our federal representatives on or around March 25th (refer to talking points below)
o Senator Crapo: EMAIL | PHONE (202)224-6142
o Senator Risch: EMAIL | PHONE (202)224-2752
o Representative Simpson: EMAIL | PHONE (202)225-5531
o Representative Fulcher: EMAIL | PHONE (202)225-6611
· Repost our social media posts during the week of March 22nd
o FB: @unitedwaytv
o Insta: @unitedwaytv
o Twitter: @unitedwaytv
Tips for crafting your message:
The Ask: Please support the Full Service Community Schools Expansion Act of 2021
· As students are returning to school, they will need more help than ever
· The Community School Strategy can help address COVID related learning loss
· A Community School Strategy coordinates relationships and resources through a local school to accelerate outcomes in education, health, employment, and family stability
· The Community School Strategy is locally led innovation and community collaboration to improve student learning and address achievement gaps
· Dollars invested are leveraged at a rate of 3:1
· There are 30 schools currently using the Community School Strategy in Idaho. These schools are urban, rural, small, big, elementary, and secondary.
· Share your own personal experience with the Community School Strategy. Why is it needed? What impacts have you experienced or witnessed? How has it impacted your school/educators/students/families/community? Share real stories from your community!